I thought I would add a few more posts related to our recent Oshkosh trip. We decided to fly up on Thursday and spend a few days visiting my brother, Jeff and his wife Katie. The flight was normal until we got into southern Wisconsin. Looking at Foreflight, I could see Oshkosh was IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) as well as many other Wisconsin airports. This was due to smoke in the atmosphere from Canadian forest fires. We decided to divert to Iowa County Airport in SW Wisconsin. Jeff lives about 2 hours away and would come pick us up. Things cleared out Friday afternoon, so Jeff drove me back to the plane. I headed to Oshkosh by air and Jeff followed in his car. He would then drive me back to his place.
There was a mad rush by many who had been waiting once Oshkosh opened to non-IFR traffic.... like me. Fortunately, by the time I got into the line, it was a little less crazy. I did the Fisk approach and landed on runway 27. I was parked in front of the Type Club hangar near the Vintage Red Barn... a prime spot. People were really helpful getting the plane tied down and putting me into an airconditioned truck. It was in the upper 90's. They drove me to a rendezvous point where Jeff could collect me. I waited about 30 minutes and then we were off to Jeff's again.
 |
| Debbie and Randy on first leg to Washington, Iowa |
 |
| This shows the smoke |
 |
| The Fisk arrival someone posted online |
 |
Right before leaving the Iowa County Airport on Friday Randy (L) and Jeff |
 |
| Entering the downwind for runway 27 |
 |
| Parked in front of the Type Club hangar |
No comments:
Post a Comment